The XPedite5501 is a PrPMC / XMC single-board computer targeting the Freescale QorIQ P2020. Hardware options range from commercial / air-cooled to full military conduction-cooled solutions. With dual PowerPC e500 cores running at up to 1.2 GHz, the P2020 delivers enhanced performance and efficiency for today’s network information processing and other embedded computing applications. Complementing processor performance, the XPedite5501 features up to 4 GB of DDR3-800 CC SDRAM. A configurable SerDes interface (PCI Express or Serial RapidIO) to the XMC connector and a conventional PCI interface to the PMC connectors provide ample bandwidth to the P2020. Two Gigabit Ethernet ports, USB 2.0 port and two RS-232/422/485 ports are routed to P14 or P16 for additional system flexibility. A detachable front panel provides one 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet port and one RS-232 serial port for development. The XPedite5501 provides a high-performance, feature-rich solution for current and future generations of embedded applications.
Not all embedded devices are created equal. This is especially true for products that are being specified with dynamic or interactive graphic elements. Devices that are constrained for resources also depend on close attention to User Interface (UI) or Human Machine Interface (HMI) design and its impact on hardware performance. These combined make the UI or HMI one of the most complicated aspects of the embedded design process.
Enter, Crank Software, an upstart that has been incubating a new UI development solution. After several months of heads down, cafeinated and vending machine fueled development they just released their new product called Storyboard Suite. The tools are designed to both streamline the design cycle and optimize hardware performance. Here are a few of the other benefits called out in Cranksoftware’s product announcemnt:
- Crank Storyboard Designer enables UI designers to easily prototype the look and feel of a UI, run simulations of the interface to validate the designs, and move the prototype directly to the embedded device for deployment
- Crank Storyboard Embedded Engine is a runtime component that drives the content developed in Designer on embedded devices
- Embedded Engine does debugging, traceability, and performance metrics
- Embedded Engine is written in C and source code access is possible for profiling, optimization, testing, and validation
- Scalable through plugin architecture and can be customized for the environment’s requirements
- Scalable memory requirements minimize impact on bill of materials
- Clean design, clean architecture, and drag-and-drop functionality
- Leverages the Eclipse environment
- GPU hardware optimized
- The UI prototype is the product
Of course, with QNX Software Systems being a leader in the embedded market Crank Software enables the Storyboard Suite to support the QNX Neutrino RTOS. For more information from Crank Software, a member of the QNX Partner Network, please visit www.cranksoftware.com